NPPG Position Statement on drug treatments for COVID-19 in children in the UK 2nd April 2020
Clinical papers and information is starting to emerge regarding the use of various medications that could potentially be used to treat COVID-19 e.g hydroxychloroquine, antiretrovirals and interferon. The current UK position is that any medications for this purpose must be used within a clinical trial or compassionate use program
To avoid duplication of work with regards to management of paediatric COVID-19 patients, NPPG and PICU pharmacists are contributing and supporting current guidance being developed by clinicians and pharmacists at Great Ormond Street Hospital (pharmacist contact Caroline.Dalton@gosh.nhs.uk).
A weekly webinar is also being hosted by the Infectious Diseases team at the Evelina hospital to discuss the current situation for paediatrics.
The COVID-19 section of the NPPG message board will provide further information for pharmacists. During this current situation, some paediatric pharmacists will also be moving to support adult services and be less available to support various professional groups. Jenny Gray (Jennifer.Gray@uhbw.nhs.uk) is available to be contacted if you require any support for paediatric critical care
Clinical pharmacy for critical care NPPG Paediatric Critical Care Group package
These links below are provided for information only. None of these sites are under the control of NPPG and as such NPPG cannot be responsible for any actions taken as a result of these links.
Recent guidance /links relating to COVID-19
- BPAIIG Position Statement : Sars-COV-2 Treatment Guidance -paediatrics v1.2 5/4/20
- COVID-19 Rapid Guideline – severe asthma – NICE Guideline NG166 (adults and children)
- Urgent Public Health Research Studies for COVID-19 – National Institute for Health Research
- NeoCLEAR – Neonatal Covid-19 literature evaluated and aggregated in real-time (from NICU99.org)
- Perinatal COVID-19 resources – BAPM
- Inpatient guidance for treatment of COVID-19 in adult and children (Michigan Medicine)
Pharmaceutical care recommendations for antiviral treatments in children with coronavirus disease 2019 – World Journal of Paediatrics
- COVID-19 Drug Interactions – University of Liverpool
- Illness in newborns – NHS England Parent leaflet
- Parent information for newborn babies – NHS England Parent Leaflet
- Products and extemporaneous preparation of paediatric formulations that may be useful in the treatment of COVID-19 – EDQM (Council of Europe)
- COVID-19 Drug Interactions (University of Liverpool)
- RPS/NPPG Webinar – COVID-19 in Paediatrics – webinar recording now available
- BAPM Neonatal COVID-19 webinar – non BAPM members will need to email BAPM for access
- BAPM COVID webinar for UK Neonatal health care professionals – 3rd April 2020
- RPS / UKCPA Webinars – introduction to Critical care